Liquid error (layout/theme line 229): Could not find asset snippets/genie-store-pickup.liquid

Safety tips for having a sparkler send off at your wedding

May 09, 2020

Safety tips for having a sparkler send off at your wedding

Safety tips for a successful wedding send off using sparklers !


So you want to use sparklers at your wedding but your grandmother is worried that the sparklers will catch your beautiful dress on fire? Let me put both your minds at ease.

First and foremost, sparklers are fireworks and do contain fire. However, with a little common sense and planning, they are a completely safe way to create sparks without the situation getting too hot to handle. Below are a few safety tips to ensure a fun, glimmering celebration without the added worry of it being more explosive than you want it to be:


    • When purchasing your sparklers, it is imperative that you only buy wire sparklers. Do not buy the wooden handled sparklers, often called “bamboo” or “morning glory sparklers.” The burning wood causes ashes and embers, which could potentially catch clothing or other items on fire.

    • Lit sparklers should always be held at arm’s length to keep body, face and clothing a safe distance from the sparks.

  • Typically sparklers do not get hot enough to burn hands, however we recommend not giving them to guests 5 years or under, as small children are less likely to understand the risk and their arms are not long enough to keep the sparkler at a safe distance. Glow sticks are a fun, safe alternative for little ones who still want to participate in the luminous wedding fun!
    • Be aware of the surroundings when using sparklers. Scan the area for any highly flammable materials such as gasoline cans, aerosolized hair spray cans, nail polish, or open containers of alcohol before using sparklers. Do NOT light sparklers if any flammable items are present.

    • Ensure guests are spread out far enough from each other, and from the bride and groom so sparks do not accidentally ignite clothing on fire or cause burns.

    • Utah Sparklers recommends having an old 5 gallon bucket filled with 6-12 inches of water nearby at all times while the sparklers are in use. Not only will it come in handy in case of a fire, but it provides guests a place to put the metal sticks when they are done burning.

  • It’s a good idea to post this information tastefully near the sparkler station or have the DJ announce these safety precautions before guests start to light the sparklers, or both.

Acrylic sign announcing Sparkler send off at end of wedding

By following these safety guidelines you can assure that you and your guests have a safe, fun, exciting celebration without it being too exciting for great grandma, or anyone else!